Defenses for DUI Charges in Tampa
Choose Our Experienced Tampa DUI Lawyer
If you have been arrested for drunk driving in Florida, it is important to know that you have rights. One of the most important and significant rights you have is the right to an attorney. There are many defenses that are possible in a DUI case, and getting our legal team involved early can make a significant difference on the outcome of your case.
Law enforcement must have reasonable suspicion to stop you for DUI. Our legal team will review the evidence and police reports to identify any violations of your rights with regard to this constitutionally protected right. The tests administered to establish evidence of drunk driving might have been faulty, administered incorrectly, or done in violation of proper protocol. Additionally, any evidence gathered against you (such as blood test results) could have been tested in a lab with earlier problems with chain of custody of the evidence or lax testing procedures.
Your attorney can expose errors and flaws in court and possibly get the charges against you reduced or dismissed. Contact a Tampa DUI lawyer right away if you have been charged with DUI, as it could mean the difference between jail time, fines and probation or freedom.
Exposing Weaknesses in the Prosecutor's Case
The prosecutor has the power to file a lesser charge such as reckless driving, or even file a "no information" dismissing the case. If the police officers were over-zealous or mistaken in their investigation, we may be able to demonstrate the weaknesses in your case to the prosecutor and obtain a reduction in charges.
- Are there any other witnesses that observed your sobriety?
- Are there other explanations for the driving errors reported by the police officer?
- Did any physical disabilities impair your ability to perform the field sobriety tests?
- Was the breath test administered properly?
- Were there problems with the breath test machine before or after your test?
- Can the state prove what your blood alcohol content (BAC) was at the time of driving? The breath test is usually taken well after the time of the stop. If you were drinking close in time to when you were stopped then you were probably still absorbing alcohol after driving while they transported you to the station to take the breath test.
- How does the field sobriety test video look when you compare it to the breath test results? If you do not look impaired on the video and yet the breath test is very high, there may be a problem with the breath test machine.
Defending Drunk Driving Charges in Tampa
The Law Office of Timothy Hessinger was established in 2005 to assist those who are facing criminal charges including DUI. We have represented hundreds of individuals in all types of DUI cases, including those that involve DUIs resulting in injury and underage DUI. We employ a respectful approach with all of our clients, providing them with constant communication and keeping them fully apprised of the progress of their case. With early involvement, you may be able to avoid the many pitfalls that occur in many DUI cases.
Contact a Tampa DUI attorney from our firm if you are searching for effective defense against your charges.