Timothy G. Hessinger
Before opening a law firm dedicated to criminal defense, Tim served the State of Florida as an Assistant State Attorney in Pinellas County for fifteen years. During that time Tim was a member of an elite unit that prosecuted major crimes. Tim developed a reputation as an aggressive but fair prosecutor in the Special Prosecution section of the Major Crimes division. Tim handled thousands of cases and tried over 130 jury trials.
Tim has extensive experience handling all types of criminal matters from DUI to Capital Murder. Tim understands that the ability to dismantle the prosecutor's case only comes from knowing how law enforcement officers and prosecutors build a criminal case.
To be an effective attorney for a criminal defense client you must fully understand the dynamics of the criminal justice system. Tim has trained prosecutors, law enforcement officers, law students and other attorneys in criminal law. Tim has been in charge of traffic court, been the lead attorney in a trial division, and was a member of the Special Prosecution Unit at the State Attorney's Office. While at the State Attorney's Office Tim was assigned to handle all of the child murder cases over an eight year period along with other high profile cases that garnered significant media attention.
Tim has a complete understanding of the manner in which the State Attorney's Office investigates, charges, and prosecutes criminal offenses. He knows how valuable it is to have early intervention by competent defense counsel in all criminal allegations and how important it is to have an attorney that is ready willing and able to challenge the state's case.
Tim has put his years of prosecution experience and his years of building relationships at the State Attorney's Office and with the judiciary to work for his clients in his criminal defense practice. Tim continues to handle high profile cases that have attracted extensive media coverage. His dedication to every individual he represents has enabled him to achieve the distinguished Client Distinction Award from Martindale.com and Lawyers.com, which recognizes an attorney's excellence in the quality of service, overall value, responsiveness, and communication ability. In 2016, he went on to earn an AV Preeminent® Peer Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, one of the most sought-after distinctions in the industry.
Tim will use his experience to evaluate your case. He will operate from a position of strength in all discussions with the prosecutor and present every option and solution to you and to give you the best possible results on your case.
If you need outstanding defense counsel in the Tampa area, call Attorney Timothy Hessinger at (813) 501-2688!
Specific areas of criminal defense practice:
- Homicide / Murder / Manslaughter / Shaken Baby
- Aggravated Battery / Felony Battery / Battery / Aggravated Assault / Assault
- Robbery / Burglary / Kidnapping / Arson / Criminal Mischief / Home Invasion
- DUI / Felony DUI / DUI Manslaughter / DWLSR
- Sex Crimes / Rape / Sexual Battery / Lewd and Lascivious
- Drug charges / Trafficking / Drug Houses / Drug Possession / Drug Sales / Cultivation & Manufacture
- Domestic Violence / Domestic Battery / Violation of Injunctions / Depriving use of 911 / Stalking
- Juvenile Offenses / Juvenile Diversion
- Pretrial Intervention / Domestic Violence Diversion
- Weapon Charges / 10-20-life / PRR / HFO / HFVO / Career Criminal Cases
- Child Abuse / Aggravated Child Abuse / Child Neglect
- Grand Theft / Petit Theft / Shoplifting / Scheme to Defraud
- White Collar Crimes / Fraud / Embezzlement / Insurance Fraud
- Internet Crimes
- Violations of Probation and Community control
- Bond Hearings / Reconsideration of Sentence Hearings
- Florida, 1990
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 2008
- Stetson University College of Law, St. Petersburg, Florida, 1990 J.D. Honors: Cum Laude
- Law Review: Stetson Law Review, Notes Editor, 1987 - 1990
- Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina, USA, 1987 B.A. Major: Political Science
- Adjunct Professor, Teaching Fellow, Stetson College of Law, 1999
- False Confessions & the Experts, F.P.A.A., 2002
- Child Abuse & Homicide, Stetson Univ. College of Law, 2002 - 2005
- Police Academy Instructor: Court Structure, Court Rules, Trial Procedure, Drugs & Controlled Substances, Privileged Communications & Kidnapping, St. Petersburg Junior College, 1996-1998, 2005
- Sexually Violent Predators, St Petersburg Bar Association, 2000
- Civil Commitment of the Sexually Violent Predator, F.P.A.A., 1998
- Child Abuse Standards in Discipline Cases, Sex Crimes Intelligence Group, 2000
Honors and Awards:
- Prosecutor of the Year, 2004
- Florida Sex Crimes Network, 1999 - 2005 Chairman/Member
- Pinellas County State Attorney's Office, 1990 - 2005 Member
- Special Prosecution unit, Major Crimes Division
- Lead Trial Attorney
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2006 - Present / Member
- 2013 Client Distinction Award from Martindale.com and Lawyers.com
- AV® Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, 2016
Past Employment Positions:
- Pinellas County State Attorney's Office, Major Crimes Special Prosecution Unit, 1990 - 2005
In the News:
- Attorney Hessinger was quoted in a recent Tampa Tribune article about the rape allegations made against Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston. Click here to read the article.