Drunk Driving Penalties in Florida
Tampa DUI Lawyer
Drivers are arrested for drunk driving if they are found to be operating their vehicles with a Blood Alcohol Level (BAL) of .08% or higher. If you are arrested for driving under the influence (DUI), conviction could result in a number of harsh penalties. It is important to note, however, that you can challenge the charges and take action to fight the potential consequences with the skilled representation of an experienced DUI defense attorney in Tampa.
The possible penalties you face for drunk driving charges depend upon a number of things, including whether you have previous convictions for DUI and if any aggravating factors were involved in the incident. Your defense lawyer can evaluate your circumstances to help you understand the potential consequences you face if convicted.
- A minimum fine of $500 to a maximum fine of $1,000
- If BAL is .15% or higher or if there was a minor in the vehicle, fines between $1,000 to $2,000
- Imprisonment for up to 6 months
- If BAL is .15% or higher or if there was a minor in the vehicle, imprisonment for up to 9 months
- Driver's license revocation for a minimum of 180 days and a maximum of 1 year
- A minimum fine of $1,000 to a maximum fine of $2,000
- If BAL is .15% or higher or if there was a minor in the vehicle, fines between $2,000 to $4,000
- Imprisonment for up to 9 months
- If BAL is .15% or higher or if there was a minor in the vehicle, imprisonment for up to 12 months
- If convicted twice within 5 years, mandatory imprisonment for at least 10 days
- Driver's license revocation for a minimum of 5 years; may be eligible for a hardship license after 1 year
- A minimum fine of $2,000 to a maximum fine of $5,000
- If BAL is .15% or higher or if there was a minor in the vehicle, fines will be a minimum of $4,000
- Mandatory imprisonment for 30 days if third conviction is within 10 years
- If it is the third conviction in more than 10 years, imprisonment will be no longer than 12 months
- Driver's license revocation for a minimum of 10 years; may be eligible for a hardship license after 2 years
Fourth or Subsequent DUI
- A minimum fine of $2,000
- Imprisonment for a maximum of 5 years
- Mandatory permanent revocation of driver's license; no opportunity to seek a hardship license
Enlist powerful defense for your case!
If you are facing intoxicated driving charges in the Tampa area, do not wait to retain seasoned and dedicated representation for your proceedings. Our team at The Law Office of Timothy Hessinger is extensively experienced in DUI defense, and we can fight tirelessly to protect your rights and advocate for your interests. Attorney Tim Hessinger served for 15 years as a state prosecutor, which gives our team a unique knowledge of the law, the trial process, and the tactics used by the prosecution when seeking a conviction for those charged with DUI.
We understand the complexities of the law and the issues that commonly arise in drunk driving cases, and we can work with you to build a compelling and detailed defense strategy to ensure your voice is heard before the court. Conviction for a DUI would have serious impact upon your life, and you deserve to be confident your attorney is committed to relentlessly fighting for your best interests. If you would like to talk to our knowledgeable team about your charges and possible defense options, contact the firm today!